L’Alfàs del Pi (Alfaz del Pi) is a municipality in the Spanish province of Alicante in the Valencia region.
This village has one of the highest concentration of European immigrants in all of Spain, including mainly Norwegians, English, Belgians and Dutch. The region in which this village is located has more snack bars, English pubs, brown Dutch bars and even Dutch grow shops than any other region in Spain. There are therefore many international street names named after cities and places in the most common countries of origin, such as Calle Lillehammer, Calle Bergen, Calle Oslo, Calle de Amsterdam, Calle de Londres (London), Calle del Roma (Rome) and even Calle del Alcatraz.
The city has the second largest concentration of Norwegian residents abroad, together with large Belgian, Dutch and English communities. The symbol of the city is a pine tree, which can be found on the church square. It is the home of a nationally renowned film festival that takes place every year.
L’Alfàs del Pi has created a pebble beach – Platja de l’Albir – located between Benidorm in the south and Altea in the north on fields that were previously dominated by citrus and almond orchards. Since 1995, Albir has grown into a village with around 5,000 inhabitants; the majority is originally from Northern Europe.
The origin of L’Alfas del Pi is closely linked to agriculture and water culture. Alfases a place name of Arabic origin meaning fertile land or cultivated land. A mid-sixteenth century our population was a small village dependent on the barony of Polop Polop yse called Alphas. At that time, the baroness Beatriz Fajardo Mendoza Began the construction of an irrigation system, the Reg Major de l’Alfàs, in order to Increase Their Wealth of agricultural land.
This channel, Which collects the waters in Ponoig, passes through Populations Polop, the Nucia, Alfaz of Pi and Benidorm. In Its route a lot of mills, some of them still standing, as well as sources and sinks Were installed. This network of irrigation ditches That 345 years after construction Continues ITS still running, allowed a significant Increase in agricultural production and the population living in esta area. Finally, in 1836, l’Alfas are independent of Polop, happening now renamed l’Alfas del Pi, in honor of pine planted in 1786 in the town square esta Symbolizes That act of independence.
From the 250 registered inhabitants in 1836, l’Alfas Become a town has more than 21,000 inhabitants With.
It is one of The most tourist towns of Alicante Costa Blanca, with over 90 nationalities coexisting in perfect quality of international life.
Origine: https://www.lalfas.es, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Alfàs_del_Pi